top of page


Canada is home to several leading universities and renowned higher learning institutions. With over 394,000 foreign students currently studying in Canada, it is a popular choice for international students. Most Canadian study visas allow foreign students to remain in Canada for the entire length of their course of education. Canada actively encourages graduates to remain in the country following completion of their studies by allowing students to apply for a Post-Graduation Work visa (open work permits) that can lead to permanent residency and citizenship thereafter.

Canadian Study Permit

This visa type allows individuals to study at what the government deems to be a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with the option to either study full-time or part-time. In most cases, students are allowed to work part-time during the school term and full-time in between school terms.

Accompanying Family Members

Under a Canadian Study Permit, the applicant’s family members, including a spouse or common law partner, can also accompany them to Canada. As an added, a spouse or common law partner will be issued an open work permit, and may work full-time for any Canadian employer.

Post Graduate Work Permit

International students who complete a post-secondary education in Canada are eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. This permit is an Open Work Permit, allowing them to work in ANY job, without restrictions. An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not needed to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.

Once a student completes his or her studies in an eligible program (or school), international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which allows them to work in Canada. It is extremely important to choose the right school to study at, to ensure that you are eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit).

Pathway to citizenship

The program of study must be a minimum of two (2) years for the graduate to obtain the three (3) year work permit. However, if the program was less than two (2) years but longer than eight months, the graduate can still obtain an open work permit for the same duration as the program of study. In cases where a student has obtained a one (1) year degree or diploma from an accredited educational institution within two (2) years of having successfully completed a previous accredited Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma, he or she may qualify for a three-year open work permit.

Permanent Residence & Citizenship

After working for one (1) year in a Type 0, A or B job in Canada, an applicant may enter the Express Entry pool through the Canadian Experience Class in order to apply for permanent residency status in Canada. Within two (2) to three (3) years, a person may apply to become a naturalized Canadian citizen. This, all made possible by the choice to study in Canada.

bottom of page