top of page


Federal Skilled Worker Class has traditionally been the most popular category. For applicants meeting minimum criteria, Federal Worker Skilled Class utilizes a point system to determine the applicant’s ability to become economically established in Canada. Applicants need at least 67 points to be eligible to apply. Skilled workers are chosen as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, English/French language skills, and other factors.  If you score 67 or higher (out of 100), you may qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker. If you score lower, than the pass mark of 67 points, you won’t qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker. In addition to selection criteria, applicant should be able to demonstrate sufficient funds available for resettlement in Canada. Once IRCC has determined that an applicant is a member of the Federal Skilled Worker Class, both the principal applicant and their family members, whether accompanying or not, must complete medical examinations if required, and pass criminal and security checks.

Please note Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) require that applicants submit government application processing fees for most of applications.As of January 1, 2015 foreign nationals will be selected through Express Entry System and must receive invitation before they may apply. Under Express Entry, Federal Skilled Workers across 347 eligible occupations who meet minimum entry criteria, submit an expression of interest profile to the Express Entry Pool.

To be considered for Federal Skilled Worker program candidates require to meet minimum requirements such as:

Work experience

  • in the same type of job as your primary NOC

  • within the last 10 years

  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)

  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)

  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week),


  • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

  • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

  • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

  • You must show that you performed the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC.

  • Education

  • If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school. If you have foreign education, you must have an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree  from a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary school.

  • Language Ability

  • You must take an approved language test in English or French that shows you meet the level for writing, reading, listening and speaking and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.



bottom of page